ESTATE SALE FAQS (scroll down to see AUCTION FAQs)
Why should I hire Corpus Christi Mercantile for my auction or estate sale?
- Advertising and extensive marketing on our website, social media, print media, etc.
- We care about you and about your prized possessions. We will always be empathetic to you and your family’s feelings, and we will exercise great care in the handling your possessions.
- Our commission covers setting up and conducting your sale from start to finish! It also pays for all advertising costs, organizing, staging, and labor costs! There are no hidden fees!
Which should I choose … Auction or Estate Sale?
Of course the choice is ultimately up to YOU however auctions are usually best for larger, collectible, more expensive estate items such as art, jewelry, antiques, collectibles. Not the garage sale nickel and dime items.
How far in advance should I call you?
- The sooner the better. We may have other sales scheduled. If you need your sale expedited we will work with you!
- If there is a substantial amount of items needing to be priced, organized, and cleaned additional prep time may be necessary.
What will it cost me for Corpus Christi Mercantile to execute my Estate Sale?
- Our commission is usually 30% however fees may vary based on the amount of time, labor, and research required. We will decide on our percentage at your free consultation.
- We will negotiate with you a percentage of total sales for our commission, and simply deduct that from the proceeds at the end of the sale.
How long does it take you to “set up” an Estate Sale?
- We normally only need 3-5 days to set-up an estate sale however size and amount of items may cause set-up time to vary.
How many days do you hold an estate sale open?
- We usually hold the estate sale open to the public for 2-3 days
I don’t have an “entire household” of possessions. Can you help me sell what I have?
- Give us a call, and we will tell you whether or not we can do a liquidation sale for you, based upon what you have to sell. We always are looking for consignment items too!
My estate is not full of EXPENSIVE or highly VALUABLE items? Can I still schedule an estate sale with just normal household stuff-furniture, household goods, etc?
- YES! There are A LOT of estate sale attendees who go to estate sales to find non-expensive, household items.
What happens to the items that don’t sell?
- We strive to sell every item for the highest price we can achieve and it is always our ultimate goal to sell EVERYTHING … However, at the end of the sale and items are left over, we can arrange to have a charity or clean out team remove those items.
- Of course, you can always choose to claim any unsold items or give them to friends or family.
What if my estate contains fine art or very rare collectibles?
- We have the resources available to determine the current market value of items whether they are common or rare. For unique items, if we cannot find the necessary information, we have an appraiser that can give us answers. If we can’t price something confidently, we will let you know before the sale, and if you wish, put it out for bid.
How do I sign-up to buy items or participate in an online auction?
You can click on the MY ACCOUNT button on the menu bar in the ONLINE AUCTION tab. It will ask for basic information – name, address, phone, email. It will not ask for credit card information. You will only give this information when you check out. If you are browsing and haven’t signed up for an account, you can still view and click on items, but it will direct you back to sign-up or log-in.
Is there a fee to register to bid?
Can I cancel my bid?
All bids are binding and cannot be canceled or retracted. If there is an error or malfunction in the system and you must edit a bid, you must contact us right away. A bid by any person shall be proof that the person has made themselves acquainted with these conditions of sale and has agreed to be bound by them. All sales are final and all property is sold “As is, Where is”, It is the bidders responsibility to determine condition and usefulness of the items purchased.
How do I contact Corpus Christi Mercantile to buy or sell items?
Just call us anytime at (361) 227-9826. You can also text photos and descriptions to this number. You can email us at : firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I do if I have a question about an item?
We attempt to describe all these items to try to give you a visual of the item you are bidding on, we describe them to the best of our ability. If you have questions or are NOT SURE about the condition of or anything pertaining to an item in our auction, preview is highly encouraged. If you choose to bid without previewing, you are accepting the item as is.
If you are wanting an item to be shipped, please make arrangements with us prior to bidding. Packaging and shipping charges are the responsibility of the buyer.
You may pay with PayPal, debit or credit card after the conclusion of the auction. No checks accepted.
Does Corpus Christi Mercantile charge a buyer’s premium on auctions?
Yes! We do charge everyone a buyer premium of 15% on each item.
Do you collect sales tax? What do I do if I have a reseller tax exemption?
Yes we are required by the State of Texas to collect sales tax on all purchases. If you are tax exempt please fill out a Tax Exempt Form and get it to us before bidding.
What is the commission charged to sell items at auction with Corpus Christi Mercantile?
The consignor’s fee is 30%.
Can I send a mover or individual to pick-up my items?
We can pick-up smaller items for you! If you have large quantities, please call the office and make arrangements so we can work with you to make arrangements. We are not responsible for damages by third party movers or individuals.
Who can bid on items?
Anyone, 18 years or older, that has registered, can bid on anything they choose with exception of firearms and weaponry. You must be 21 years or older and be able to pass a standard FFL background check. We do not sell firearms outside of the state of Texas.
How do I receive a refund on an item I purchased?
- All sales are final, no refunds or exchanges.
- We attempt to describe all these items to try to give you a visual of the item you are bidding on, we describe them to the best of our ability and many times rely on information from the consigner that is given to us.
Can I view the items before bidding?
- Previews and questions are encouraged!
- Pick-up and preview times will be published for each auction.
What is the process after I win an auction?
- Once you win an item you will be notified via email and via text. That will instruct you to go to your account and check out. Once you have paid, we will contact you on pick-up dates and times.
- Items not claimed during the established pick-up times, will be charged to the winning bidder. If an item is not claimed, they will become property of Corpus Christi Mercantile and no refunds will be issued.